Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] ASN.1 bit string alignment

From: "Neil Piercy" <Neil.Piercy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 18:30:30 -0000
In 1.0.x PER ASN.1 bit strings used to be padded in the MSBs, (e.g.
extract from an RRC message):

dl-HFN: 00000004 [bit length 25]

Since 1.2.x they appear to be padded in the LSBs (e.g. the same
extract):

dl-HFN: 00000200 [bit length 25]

The value carried in both cases above is meant to be 4.

Is this a deliberate change?

I know bit strings are of arbitrary length, therefore a "natural"
representation is challenging, but I find the above counter-intuitive.

Neil

This message contains confidential information and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete the message immediately.

ip.access Ltd, registration number 3400157, Building 2020,
Cambourne Business Park, Cambourne, Cambridge CB23 6DW, United Kingdom