Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] INTERLINK dissector plugin added

From: Aniruddha A <aniruddha.a@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:03:05 +0530
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 10:06:25 +0100
> From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] INTERLINK dissector plugin added
> To: Developer support list for Wireshark <wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hi,
>
> Well, it broke the build so you may want to check into that.
> Also the design desision to make it a plugin is a poor one. Single
> file dissectors should be added to the build in set, otherwise we
> would drown in the maintenane of all these 'little used' plugins.
>
> Thanks,
> Jaap
>
> Send from my iPhone
>
> On 16 mrt 2010, at 08:16, "Dr. Uwe Girlich" <Uwe.Girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I just added (with revision 32202) a new dissector plugin: INTERLINK
>> (yes, I
>> know, a too general name but that's what it is called by BMW). This
>> protocol is
>> used in BMW cars (real and simulated) for all kinds of gadget
>> communication
>> (for example to and from the combination display or the iDrive). I
>> assume only
>> a few engineers at BMW will ever use this, so I added the dissector
>> as a plugin.
>>
>> I prepared a table for sub-dissectors for particular type/version
>> combinations
>> but did not add any. Hopefully some BMW engineers will fill this
>> part later on.
>>
>> Regards, Uwe Girlich

>> Dr. Uwe Girlich
>> Philosys Software GmbH
>> Edisonstra?e 6
>> 85716 Unterschlei?heim
>>
>> Email: uwe.girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx
>> http://www.philosys.de
>> Tel: (+49) 89 321407-44
>> Fax: (+49) 89 321407-12
>>
>> Gesch?ftsf?hrer:
>> Peter G?b, Horst Lauber, Emil N?pflein, Dr. Detlef Strehmel
>> Firmensitz: Unterschlei?heim
>> Amtsgericht M?nchen HRB 85577

Hello,

How to decide whether a dissector has to be a plugin or a build-in ?
Is it based on the code size ?
I have also created a plugin (based on a protocol which is in draft
state in IETF)
and the code size is small, I was about to raise patch request on bugzilla,
but after seeing this post, I am wondering whether to add it to epan/dissectors
as a single file and then upload the patch.

TIA
--
Ani