Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] INTERLINK dissector plugin added

From: "Dr. Uwe Girlich" <Uwe.Girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:45:15 +0100
Hello!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 10:06:25AM +0100, Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Well, it broke the build so you may want to check into that.
What broke exactly? It works for me or I would not have checked it in.
But I have to admit, that I only compiled it on one machine.

> Also the design desision to make it a plugin is a poor one. Single
> file dissectors should be added to the build in set, otherwise we
> would drown in the maintenane of all these 'little used' plugins.
The dissector is a heuristic one. So it adds runtime for every single
packet. I thought it would be easier to disable a plugin (probably not even
deliver it). And the gryphon plugin is also car related.

> On 16 mrt 2010, at 08:16, "Dr. Uwe Girlich" <Uwe.Girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I just added (with revision 32202) a new dissector plugin: INTERLINK
> > (yes, I
> > know, a too general name but that's what it is called by BMW). This
> > protocol is
> > used in BMW cars (real and simulated) for all kinds of gadget
> > communication
> > (for example to and from the combination display or the iDrive). I
> > assume only
> > a few engineers at BMW will ever use this, so I added the dissector
> > as a plugin.
> >
> > I prepared a table for sub-dissectors for particular type/version
> > combinations
> > but did not add any. Hopefully some BMW engineers will fill this
> > part later on.

Regards, Uwe Girlich

Dr. Uwe Girlich
Philosys Software GmbH
Edisonstra�e 6
85716 Unterschlei�heim

Email: uwe.girlich@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.philosys.de
Tel: (+49) 89 321407-44
Fax: (+49) 89 321407-12

Gesch�ftsf�hrer:
 Peter G�b, Horst Lauber, Emil N�pflein, Dr. Detlef Strehmel
Firmensitz: Unterschlei�heim
Amtsgericht M�nchen HRB 85577