Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 32006: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/: oids.c:

From: Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 21:46:02 +0100
Hi

2010/2/26 Balint Reczey <balint.reczey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Balint Reczey wrote:
>>> Since SVN #32006 was committed, the following messages appear when
>>> tshark and Wireshark are started.
>>>
>>> For Wireshark the messages appear as popup Windows which must be
>>> dismissed !!
>>>
>>> ----------
>>>
>>> tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB due to error(s) to
>>>   prevent potential crash in libsmi.
>>> Module's conformance level: 0.
>>> See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325
>>>
>>> tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-MPD-MIB due to error(s) to
>>> prevent potential crash in libsmi.
>>> Module's conformance level: 0.
>>> See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325
>>>
>>> tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-PROXY-MIB due to error(s) to
>>> prevent potential crash in libsmi.
>>> Module's conformance level: 0.
>>> See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325
>>>
>>> ----------
>>>

>>> Needing to dismiss popup windows each time Wireshark is started is
>>> obviously a non-starter.   :)
>>>
>>> So; What should be done ??  (I know zilch about SNMP MIBS).
>>>
>>> Bill
>> I wanted to commit the attached patch, but I realized, that preferences
>> are read _after_ loading the SMI modules. :-(
>>
>> Could we read prefs earlier, maybe twice?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Balint
>>

> I also asked Vincent about a potentially better workaround [1].
> We can remove the buggy(?) MIBs from the default list of MIBs to be
> loaded, but it would not help users with older preferences file. :-(
>
> I can turn the popup to a debug message, but silently skipping the
> modules does not seem to be a good idea.
>
> Cheers,
> Balint
>
> [1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

I've committed a refinement to the workaround based on Vincent's email
[1] in 32017.

It seems to be working fine on Linux but on Windows I still get a popup when launching wireshark or the following text when launching tshark (SVN revision 32067):

tshark: Stopped processing module SNMPv2-SMI due to error(s) to prevent potential crash in libsmi.
Module's conformance level: 1.
See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

Is it a known issue ? Can something be done for us poor Windows user ? ;)

Regards,
Pascal.

Cheers,
Balint