Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] emem.c:732: failed assertion [sort-of-SOLVED]

From: varname <varname@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 16:48:35 +0100
Luis EG Ontanon wrote:
Don't know if it's the only way, but changing the limit to 10MB fixed it
for my situation.

It might have worked it arround until an 11Mb request overflows it again.

sure. That's why I wrote "for my situation". I 'never' expect to have to allocate more than 10MB at a time, but that was probably the reasoning of the developer that implemented the check in the first place.

What it should be done IMHO is to g_malloc()ate the block directly if
it happens to be bigger than the limit instead of failing. (and of
course that would need to be freed as the ep-memory gets renewed).

I can't comment on that. One thought though: what if a really large block needs to be allocated (100MB reassembled http download for instance)? Might not be too nice on the machine running wireshark?