Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 32006: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/: oids.c:

From: Balint Reczey <balint.reczey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 20:18:13 +0100
Balint Reczey wrote:
Bill Meier wrote:
Log:
 Prevent potential crash in libsmi.
 From: Vincent Bernat <bernat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Since SVN #32006 was committed, the following messages appear when tshark and Wireshark are started.

For Wireshark the messages appear as popup Windows which must be dismissed !!

----------

tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-COMMUNITY-MIB due to error(s) to prevent potential crash in libsmi.
Module's conformance level: 0.
See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-MPD-MIB due to error(s) to prevent potential crash in libsmi.
Module's conformance level: 0.
See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

tshark: Stopped processing module SNMP-PROXY-MIB due to error(s) to prevent potential crash in libsmi.
Module's conformance level: 0.
See details at: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

----------

Needing to dismiss popup windows each time Wireshark is started is obviously a non-starter. :)

So; What should be done ??  (I know zilch about SNMP MIBS).

Bill
I wanted to commit the attached patch, but I realized, that preferences are read _after_ loading the SMI modules. :-(

Could we read prefs earlier, maybe twice?

Cheers,
Balint

I also asked Vincent about a potentially better workaround [1].
We can remove the buggy(?) MIBs from the default list of MIBs to be loaded, but it would not help users with older preferences file. :-(

I can turn the popup to a debug message, but silently skipping the modules does not seem to be a good idea.

Cheers,
Balint

[1]http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560325

I've committed a refinement to the workaround based on Vincent's email [1] in 32017.

Cheers,
Balint