Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] No interfaces listed to capture packets

From: David Baird <xdab@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:53:25 -0600
I just installed the MacOSX version of Wireshark downloaded from www.wireshark.org/download.html.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard (10.6.2). The downloaded item was OS X 10.5(Leopard) Intel.dmg.

I followed the instructions regarding the installation of the application and the various scripts. But when I start Wireshark it does not list any interfaces (eth0, eth1, etc) to select.

Also when starting the machine, it complains about the items in /Library/StartupItems:

"/Library/StartupItems/ChmodBPF" has not been started because it does not have the proper security settings.

Any ideas, or does the application need to be tweaked for Snow Leopard?

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to report this.

Thanks,

David Baird
University of Chicago