Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Dissecting a portion of a protocol owned by another dissector

From: "Jeremy O'Brien" <obrien654j@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:01:42 -0500
Hello,

I am trying to write a wireshark plugin that dissects only a certain
field of another dissector. I read about writing tap dissectors, but
these seem to still receive entire packets rather than just the
portion I'm interested in. I am trying to avoid copying large chunks
of the main dissector just to get down to the area my dissector is
interested in. Does wireshark provide a way to do this?

Thank you,
Jeremy