Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Need help regarding interpreting a pcap file.

From: "Maynard, Chris" <Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:24:16 -0500
If you're looking for information on the libpcap file format, you might find what you need here: http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat.

But if you're looking for "a utility which should take the pcap as input and produce output on the screen in user freindly [sic] way.", well then look no further:  http://www.wireshark.org/download.html.  Well, OK there are plenty of other packet sniffers out there, so feel free to keeping looking.  Here's a start: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_analyzer#Notable_packet_analyzers.

Or maybe what you're really looking for is a way to add your own proprietary protocol dissector to Wireshark?  These should help you:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/
http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/doc/README.developer?revision=31933&view=markup <http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/trunk/doc/README.developer?revision=31933&view=markup>

Good luck.
- Chris