Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] dissection question

From: Brian Oleksa <oleksab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 14:18:23 -0500

Hello All

What I am really looking to do is the following:

proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routername, tvb, offset, *sizeofroutername*, FALSE);

But putting in the "sizeofroutername" does not seem to work and does indeed through off the rest of the packet.

When I "hardcode" the value (which in this case it is 2... as I can see it in the hex dump window).. it appears to work ok....but I know that I cannot hard code that value. proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routername, tvb, offset, 2, FALSE);

Any thoughts..??

Code snippet is below

Thanks,
Brian

//Router Ext:
               if (code == 1001) {
                   guint8 routercount;
                   guint8 interfacecount;
                   guint8 sizeofinterfacename;
                   guint8 sizeofroutername;
                   guint i;
                   guint k;

                   //router count
                   routercount = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset);
proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routerCount, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
                   offset += 1;

                   //Router Data
                   for (i = 0; i < routercount; i++) {
                       nstime_t t;
                       guint64 msecs_since_the_epoch;
                       struct tm *tmp;

                       //Size of router name
                       sizeofroutername = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset);
proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_sizeofRouterName, tvb, offset, 2, FALSE);
                       offset += 2;

*Here is where the problem starts:*

                       //Router Name
//proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routername, tvb, offset, sizeofroutername, FALSE); proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routername, tvb, offset, 2, FALSE);
                       offset += 2;
                       //offset += sizeofroutername;

                       //status
proto_tree_add_uint(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_routerstatus, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
                       offset += 1;

                       //update time
                       msecs_since_the_epoch = tvb_get_ntoh64(tvb, offset);
                       t.secs = msecs_since_the_epoch / 1000;
t.nsecs = (msecs_since_the_epoch % 1000)*1000000; /* milliseconds to nanoseconds */
                       tmp = gmtime(&t.secs);
proto_tree_add_time(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_time, tvb, offset, 8, &t);
                       offset += 8;

                       //cpu % used
proto_tree_add_uint(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_cpuusage, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
                       offset += 1;

                       //interface count
                       interfacecount = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset);
proto_tree_add_uint(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_interface_count, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
                       offset += 1;

                       //Interface Data
                       for (k = 0; k < interfacecount; k++) {
proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_sizeofInterfaceName, tvb, offset, 2, FALSE);
                           offset += 2;

                           //Interface Name
sizeofinterfacename = tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset); proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_interfacename, tvb, offset, 8, FALSE);
                           offset += sizeofinterfacename;

                           //incoming bytes
proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_incomingBytes, tvb, offset, 4, FALSE);
                           offset += 4;

                           //outgoing bytes
proto_tree_add_item(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_outgoingBytes, tvb, offset, 4, FALSE);
                           offset += 4;

                           //interface active?
proto_tree_add_uint(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_interfaceActivity, tvb, offset, 1, FALSE);
                          offset += 1;

                       }

                   }

               }

       { &hf_helen_routername,
{ "Router Name", "helen.routername", FT_STRING, BASE_NONE, NULL, 0x0,
               NULL, HFILL}},