Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Get follwing Packets in a protocol dissector

From: Jan-Niklas Meier <dschanoeh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:48:52 +0100
Hi!
I am currently working on a protocol dissector for a protocol, which is based on XML. The protocol is spoken inside a TCP stream. I am using the libxml to parse single requests and responses. I choose libxml because i want to check, if the XML is valid and because i need to parse the protocol quite deep. this works very well for normal requests and responses which are usually only one packet long (so the XML is valid and i can parse it). if there is for example a very long request it is splitted into different packets and the xml in the first packet is invalid (because all the closing tags are missing). in the following packets i can't even regognize that this is my protocol because they don't start with my header.
I searched the documentation and some other dissectors, if there is a mechanism to request the following packets of a tcp stream from wireshark to be able to parse the whole request. I was not able to find something on this topic (request/response tracking is not quite what i want) so i'd like to ask here now. I would be happy about some suggestions how i could solve this problem or shouldn't i do something like this?

with kind regards
Jan-Niklas Meier