Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Buildbot query

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:04:10 -0800
On Feb 12, 2010, at 6:51 PM, Maynard, Chris wrote:

> ... but the following targets aren't:
> make rpm-package
> make srpm-package
> make svr4-package
> make debian-package
> (and maybe more)
>
> Should they be?

I.e., can, and should, we get into the business of making binary packages for OSes other than Windows and OS X?

I don't know whether an Ubuntu buildbot could make RPMs - and I don't know whether generic RPMs work (as in "an RPM that'll work on any version of any Linux distribution that uses RPMs and that has sufficiently recent versions of the libraries Wireshark uses), so I'm not sure we could build "RPMs" as opposed to "RHEL/Fedora/blah blah RPMs" or "{pick other RPM-using Linux)" RPMs, much less whether we could build an RPM that works on "RHEL XXX and newer/Fedora YYY and newer/..." rather than RPMs for individual versions of RHEL/Fedora/etc..  I also don't know whether we can build x86 and x86-64 binaries on the same machine, or whether we'd need two buildbots.

I don't know what OSes other than Solaris would use SVR4 packages; we could build SPARC packages, but I don't know whether we could build x86 packages without a Solaris x86 buildbot.