Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] preliminary code submission

From: "Speck Michael EHWG AVL/GAE" <Michael.Speck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:57:08 +0100
Hi Brian,

just had a look on your latest preview.
There is one more thing you can do to reduce the code size even further:
as Jakub has already suggested earlier, it is a good idea to use
value_string struct to map values with strings. In your case it is
especially true for the GPS status.

There are only a few changes necessary to your code. First define a
value_string typed constant, then slightly change the status field
definition in function proto_register_helen() and finally shorten the
status field dissection in function dissect_helen(). Below is shown how
these code sections could look like afterwards.

static const value_string helen_gps_status[] = {
	{ 0, "Good" },
	{ 1, "No Fix" },
	{ 2, "Bad GPS Read" },
	{ 0, NULL }
};

void proto_register_helen(void) {
[...]
	{ &hf_helen_gpsstatus,
		{ "GPS Status", "helen.gpsStatus", FT_UINT8, BASE_DEC,
VALS(helen_gps_status), 0x00,
		"GPS Status", HFILL}},
[...]
}

void dissect_helen(tvbuff_t *tvb, packet_info *pinfo, proto_tree *tree)
{
	[...]
	if ((fieldsAvail & 1) != 0) {
		guint8 status;
		status = tvb_get_guint8(tvb,offset);
		proto_tree_add_uint(helen_sub_tree, hf_helen_gpsstatus,
tvb, offset, 1, status);
		offset += 1;
	}
	[...]