Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] RTP-MIDI and AppleMIDI dissectors

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 22:40:47 +0100
Hi,

The way to do this is to file an enhancement bug, so it won't get lost.

Two questions up front:
Did you fuzztest the code?
Can you work both as build in dissectors? That is really the prefered way.

Thanx,
Jaap

Send from my iPhone

On 31 jan 2010, at 14:19, "Tobias Erichsen" <t.erichsen@xxxxxx> wrote:

Hi everyone,

after my initial efforts in 2006, I have since then reworked my
Previous code and have been able to compile it with the source of
Wireshark 1.2.6 both for x86 and x64.

RTP-MIDI:
Dissector-plugin to decode MIDI-data which is transmitted via RTP
based on RFC-4695.  The dissector currently supports the standard-
MIDI-stuff, but enhancements for more "esoteric" MIDI-sub-standards
still could to be implemented...

AppleMIDI:
Dissector-plugin to decode the lightweight Apple-network-MIDI
session establishment protocol (which is used to establish an
RTP-session to send & receive MIDI-data via RFC-4695).  This
protocol is proprietary.  The dissector is based on the Apple
implementation summary from May 2005.

You will find attached two zip-files containing the source-code
and one zip-file containing a sample-capture with both the
Apple-session-protocol and RF-4695-data.  This capture was done
between a MacBook and a MIDI Kiss-Box

I would be glad if some of you guys could take a look at the code
and give me some feedback if this is already in good shape to
be integrated into the official Wireshark-release.

I would be willing to rework the AppleMIDI plugin to work as a
builtin dissector, as this part is fully done.

The RTP-MIDI-dissector should stay a plugin for a while since
I plan to implement more enhancements over the next couple of
months (decoding of some more specialized MIDI-commands for
stuff like lighting-control etc.)

Best regards,
Tobias
<RTP-MIDI_plugin.zip>