Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark won't compile on PPC64 boxes

From: didier <dgautheron@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:32:17 +0100
Hi,
Le mercredi 27 janvier 2010 ᅵ 00:54 -0700, Stephen Fisher a ᅵcrit :
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 06:40:38PM +0100, Radek Vokï¿œl wrote:
>
> > The wireshark package cannot be build on ppc64 due to ppc64 ABI
> > limitation and RRC dissector source file which contains too many
> > string constants.
>
> That's not good :(.  I didn't realize until now that packet-rrc.c is
> about 7MB of text (code) with over 150,000 lines!  Only the similar
> dissector packet-nbap.c is even close at almost 70,000 lines at about
> 3.5MB.  I assume that packet-nbap.c isn't causing compilation problems
> on ppc64?  My first thought is to just pull packet-rrc.c from the
> makefile, but if you're building packages for others, then leaving out a
> dissector could be bad.  I wonder if it would make a difference if we
> converted it to be a plug-in dissector that ships with Wireshark?
>
> Lacking that, we may be able to make the ASN.1 dissector generator spit
> out a file that works on ppc64.  Sure seems like a lot of extra work to
> support one platform, but then again, maybe it would be easier to manage
> anyway having all of those strings handled differently.
There's a lot of stuff like:
 { "midambleAllocationMode", "rrc.midambleAllocationMode", ...
Is it possible to compress it to the pseudo code:

const foo = "rrc.midambleAllocationMode"
{ &foo +4, foo, ....

?
It should be faster on all platforms.

Don't know if it's enough.