Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New packetlist and Update list of packets in real time & aut

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 18:33:47 -0700
On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 09:57:20PM +0100, Anders Broman wrote:

> It seems like the problems with the new packet list and live captures
> is caused when

> I did a quick proof of concept patch to test and it seems to work, but
> before trying to implement a proper fix

Your patch's changes seem like the right way to go.

As mentioned in the comments toward the top of gtk/packet_list_store.c,
I used the "GTK+ 2.0 Tree View Tutorial" at
http://scentric.net/tutorial/ extensively when writing the initial new
packet list code.  In section 3.3.3 of that guide, "Speed Issues when
Adding a Lot of Rows," it says that when doing "mass insertions," the
model should be detached from the view.  I would consider that the right
thing to do when opening a file from disk, but not a live capture.  Then
again, it does say that writing a custom model would be even better,
which is what the packet_list_store.c file implements.  Hopefully we
wouldn't need to ever detach it from the view in that case.

Steve