Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ubuntu dissector plugin tutorial

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 14:05:35 +0100
On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:48:58 +0100, "Manthos S." <s.manthos@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Thanks for your answers!
>
>> in addition to the doc/README.Plugin  file, you can also have a look at
>> http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development.
>> If you have never build anything on Linux, this could help a bit.
>
> I already checked the files you suggested but i still want to clarify
> something.
> I have built wireshark from source in my developing machine (ubuntu)
using:

> <obtained the sources with SVN>
> apt-get build-dep wireshark
>  ./autogen.sh
>  ./configure --prefix=/home/user/FROGS/wireshark
>
>  make
>  make install
> /home/user/FROGS/wireshark
> ....and runs smoothly
>
>> If you already have the dissector code, than you basically have to
alter
>> the various makefiles which are listed in doc/README.Plugin and rebuild
>> wireshark.
>> After a complete and successful build, it is sufficient to call make in
>> your plugin directory to update the plugin.
>
> I copied the folder with my plugin files (AUTHORS, ChangeLog, COPYING,
> Makefile.am, Makefile.common, Makefile.nmake, moduleinfo.h,
> moduleinfo.nmake, packet-xxx.c, plugin.rc.in) in:
> /home/user/DEV/wireshark/plugins
> ....and made all changes in the files according doc/README.plugin.
>
> My question is: Do i MUST build wireshark AGAIN and why??

If you read doc/README.plugins carefully, you'll see that there are
changes involved in the top level project files. Therefore you'll need to
do 'make' once more. Like was said: "*After* a complete and successful
build, it is sufficient to call make in your plugin directory to update the
plugin."

> Isn't it right to build just the plugin (.so & .la files) and then
> copy xxx.la & xxx.so into:
> /home/user/FROGS/wireshark/lib/wireshark/plugins/1.2.5
> (like in windows?), so when i next time launch wireshark, my plugin
> dissector will be registered???

We're talking about the build here (make), not about deployment (make
install).
Indeed once things are done, you can copy the resulting files to be picked
up by your installation.

> Additional question: I want to use my plugin in a different linux
> machine runing wireshark. Do i have to make a build there also??...or
> it is sufficient to copy the .so & .la files in the plugins directory
> and relaunch??

No need to build there.