Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] read error: PacketReceivePacket failed

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:54:18 -0800
On Jan 15, 2010, at 2:23 PM, Ian Schorr wrote:

> Why the "please report this to the wireshark developers" message then?

Because that message is a generic message for capture errors.  The code could perhaps check for some strings in the error, such as anything with "Packet" in it, and suggest reporting those to the WinPcap developers, and might be able to catch some others and suggest reporting them to the libpcap developers, but there would probably still be some that would need a human to triage them to the point of figuring out whether it's a Wireshark bug or a *pcap bug.  (There is precedent for trying to dredge information out of error strings - look for "HP-UX" in dumpcap.c to see a case where we do that.)