Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ubuntu dissector plugin tutorial

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:13:41 +0100
Hi,

I would like to point you to doc/README.plugins. There it describes how to add a plugin dissector to a Windows *and* Unix/Linux build

If you're looking for development information for Wireshark on Linux itself, the Wireshark Developer's Guide also includes sections for Unix/Linux along with Windows.
Your Ubuntu repository can help you as well by installing the wireshark-dev package.

Thanks,
Jaap

Manthos S. wrote:
Hello everybody,

i have developed and build a dissector plugin in windows but i have to run it on a linux ubuntu machine. I haven't really developed in linux so far, thus i know only the basics. A dissector plugin tutorial for linux would help me a lot.

I tried to find one but all i found are unsorted info in the mailing list. All the tutorials in wireshark.org <http://wireshark.org> and readme files are for windows. I read in the mailing-list that the reason for it is that in windows should be more difficult to build a dissector than in linux, so for linux no need for tutorial.

Nevertheless i wanted to ask if somebody knows a linux tutorial that i missed, for a better development experience.
As i said before, i already have the dissector code (packet-xxx.c).

Thanks a million
Spanos