Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How can I use preferences from other dissectors?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 17:36:26 -0500
Alex Lindberg wrote:
I am building a heuristic dissector that shares a common tcp port used by other dissectors. This same port is used in my dissector and thus must be checked as part of the heuristic testing. This port can be changed in other modules. Is there a method to read the configuration data from another module into my dissector?

Sure: make the variable non-static and import it into your dissector. (This assumes you can/don't mind modifying the other dissectors.) For example, the "mtp3_standard" preference variable is used by quite a few different dissectors.

(Also: this might not work--at least easily--if you're doing it in a plugin on Windows.)