Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How does Wireshark do name resolution?

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 22:33:49 +1100
This really belongs in "users", but since it is here ...

Richard Brooks wrote:
> Wireshark must have got the 'bskyb-pop3-ssl.l.google.com' result somehow. I
> can do an nslookup just after Wireshark comes back with
> 'bskyb-pop3-ssl.l.google.com' but I still get the same old vanilla flavoured
> 'pz-in-f208.1e100.net'.

Maybe I didn't express it well enough. One of the gurus might please
confirm.

If I remember correctly, when Wireshark detects a DNS reply packet in
the datastream it will use the info in that packet to do IP/name resolution.

That means that the names you get in your decoded output can vary
depending on which packets are in your trace. If there are no suitable
packets in the trace Wireshark will do DNS lookups to to the IP/name
resolution.

So if your trace has:

DNS query for bskyb-pop3-ssl.l.google.com
DNS response bskyb-pop3-ssl.l.google.com is 74.125.155.208
TCP conversation with 74.125.155.208

then 74.125.155.208 will be reported as bskyb-pop3-ssl.l.google.com

If it has:

TCP conversation with 74.125.155.208
DNS query for 74.125.155.208 (with realtime DNS resolution Wireshark
might issue this query itself)
DNS reply 74.125.155.208 is px-in-f208.1e100.net

then 74.125.155.208 will be reported as px-in-f208.1e100.net

If realtime resolution is off, Wireshark will do the query when you
decide the tace and you will again get px-in-f208.1e100.net.

If you choose to put entries in your hosts file, you can tell whatever
lies you like in your output.

                -- Dr. Who