Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Security issue being reported by the Secunia PSI scanner.

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 17:47:19 -0500
Stephen Fisher wrote:
On Jan 6, 2010, at 3:20 PM, Richard Brooks wrote:

Hello Bill, in my last email I neglected to add the Secunia report information you asked for.

Your screenshots show that you're running Wireshark v1.2.5 with GTK+ 2.16.2. I don't see anything that says "security" in the release notes (news) for GTK+ from v2.16.2 -> the latest 2.16, which is 2.16.6:

	http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.16/gtk+-2.16.6.news
	http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.16/gtk+-2.16.5.news
	http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.16/gtk+-2.16.4.news
	http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/gnome/sources/gtk+/2.16/gtk+-2.16.3.news

This is still something worth looking into. I see that GTK+ 2.18.x is the current stable maintained branch, while 2.16.x is "old" but "but in some respects more stable" (http://www.gtk.org/download- windows.html).

Steve

Going one level deeper: It turns out the the Secunia Security ID which is being reported is SA37852: GTK+ "gdk_window_begin_implicit_paint()" Foreign Windows Weakness.

http://secunia.com/advisories/37852/

Among other things the advisory says "fixed in GTK 2.18.5".

The security level is reported as "not criotical"