Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Security issue resolution in 1.0.x series.

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:34:31 -0800
Matty Ronald wrote:
Hi All,
I'm currently using Wireshark-1.0.9.  I just read the
http://www.wireshark.org/security/wnpa-sec-2009-04.html
My query is that will we see bugs and issues addresed in
wnpa-sec-2009-04 be corrected in any future release of 1.0.x series?

Please let me know if there are any plans in future to fix following
vulnerabilities in 1.0.x series as i'm not keen on using gtk+2 support
which is mandatory in 1.2.x version.

The AFS dissector could crash. (Bug 3564) Versions affected: 0.9.2 to 1.2.0

Fixed in 1.0.9.

The Infiniband dissector could crash on some platforms. Versions
affected: 1.0.6 to 1.2.0

Looks like I missed this one. It has been added to the queue for 1.0.11.

The RADIUS dissector could crash. (Bug 3578)
Versions affected: 0.10.13 to 1.0.9, 1.2.0

Fixed in 1.0.10.

My question is that will we see bugs and issues seen in 1.0.9 and
1.2.x series be fixed in any future release of 1.0.x series?

Yes. 1.0.10 was released on October 27 and fixes the RADIUS issue listed above.

I also see that 1.0.11 is being planned to be released.So will it
contain the fix for all the current open bugs/security issues ?

That's the plan.

Is it possible to fix this issues in 1.0.x series itself?

Certainly. Again, that's the plan.

I just read that Some vulnerabilities have been reported in Wireshark,
which can be exploited by malicious people to cause a DoS (Denial of
Service) or potentially compromise a user's system.

1) A boundary error in the Daintree SNA file parser can be exploited
to cause a buffer overflow via a specially crafted capture file.

Successful exploitation may allow execution of arbitrary code.

2) An error in the IPMI dissector on Windows can be exploited to cause a crash.

The vulnerabilities are reported in versions 1.2.0 through 1.2.4.

3) An error in the SMB and SMB2 dissectors can be exploited to cause a crash.

The vulnerability is reported in versions 0.9.0 through 1.2.4.

So will all these issues/bugs be addressed in V1.0.11 ?

No. Daintree SNA parser doesn't exist in the 1.0.x branch so there's no "there" there to patch. Similarly, the affected IPMI code doesn't exist in the 1.0.x branch. The SMB and SMB2 fixes are in the queue for 1.0.11.

Or does V1.0.10 address these issues?

It addresses some of them, as stated above. 1.0.11 will address the remainder as well as a RADIUS bug and a problem with libgcrypt on Windows 2000.

Thanks in advance. Any response to above mail will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Matty