Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] I am interested about your project : Wireshark

From: prashanth s <prbanglore@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 23:53:17 -0800
Study how to use wireshark tool and then you will know what are the requirements that the wireshark tool fullfills. For example it displays information regarding the TCP packets, IP packets, HTTP, SSL etc. These are some of the requirements for which wireshark was built. Another requirement can be put as, "Need to have a tool which can capture the traffic(data on the network) from the wire and then save it to a file. So that on this file later a decoder can be run such that the decoder will be able to decode the meaning of the data". For example a user uses FTP to send a file. Then if you use wireshark it should be able capture the data that the user sends through FTP and save this data in to a file. And if gmail decoder is run on this file, it should be able to interpret what the data sent by the user means.

Regards,
Prashanth