Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] USB dissection

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:13:01 -0700

On Dec 13, 2009, at 12:15 AM, paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm new to wireshark dissectors and am writing a USB dissector that is working quite well. However, it's working because it's the only device on the chosen bus. What I'd like to do is activate my dissector for a given vendor id/product id. At the moment my dissector is a child of usb.bulk which doesn't contain USB descriptors. Since there aren't that many
examples of USB dissectors, could anyone explain how I do this?

I don't have much experience with these, but I think a dissector table tied to the vendor / product id would be the right way to go here. You could then have your USB dissector register with the table's values. The main USB dissector would need to be modified too.

Steve