Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Run_time_Error

Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:32:27 -0500

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
nikhil tripathi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I added new plugin "xyz" in windows platform and build wireshark source
> code.But it gives error when i launch wireshark.
>
> "an unhanded win32 exception occurred in wireshark.exe"
>
> if i delete xyz.dll from default path and launched wireshark.exe it run
> successfully.

Sounds like you'll need to step thru your code with the Windows VC
debugger to see what's going on..

See http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips for some hints

If this is the equivalent of the Windows "Runtime Error" dialog, there are a couple of things
you can check right away.  If none of these is true, then you'll have to resort to the debugger
after all:

1. If you add "xyz" to another dissector's dissector table or heuristic dissector list, make sure
the name string you use is exactly the same name that the other dissector used when it
registered the table.

2. In your header field (hf) table, make sure not to use BASE_HEX with FT_STRINGZ or FT_BYTES;
use BASE_NONE.  There may be other FT values that require BASE_NONE as well. (This may
depend on which version of Wireshark you are building with.)

b.