Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] log of wireshark

From: Jaap Keuter <jaap.keuter@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:50:59 +0100

Send from my iPhone

On 12 dec 2009, at 08:26, Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Dec 11, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Awadhesh Kumar wrote:

I got error "segmentation fault", I want to know the root
cause of the problem. How can I enable the logger. Where log files
will be dumped.

Wireshark has a method of showing debug messages on the console beyond
what is displayed by default.  See ~/.wireshark/preferences:

######## Console: logging level ########
# (debugging only, not in the Preferences dialog)
# A bitmask of glib log levels:
# G_LOG_LEVEL_ERROR    = 4
# G_LOG_LEVEL_CRITICAL = 8
# G_LOG_LEVEL_WARNING  = 16
# G_LOG_LEVEL_MESSAGE  = 32
# G_LOG_LEVEL_INFO     = 64
# G_LOG_LEVEL_DEBUG    = 128
console.log.level: 28

However, this will probably not display useful information since
Wireshark is crashing in the middle of something.  The way to
troubleshoot this type of problem is to use core dumps and a debugger
such as gdb.  See http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Tips for more
details and the link to gdb help.  Linux may be like MacOS X, which
defaults to disabling core dumps, so you have to enable them first or
run Wireshark through gdb.

Or run it from gdb / ddd and do a postmortem from in there.

Thanks,
Jaap