Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] reading from named pipes on OSX?

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 22:00:45 -0700

On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:04 PM, Aaron Turner wrote:

Reading the man page for tshark indicates that the following is vaild:

mkfifo foo
tshark -i foo &
cat somefile.pcap >foo

Which seems to work on Linux, but not OS X:

Capturing on foo
tshark: Unexpected error from select: Invalid argument

Using 1.2.2 & 1.2.4... is this a known issue?

Hmm.. I just tried those commands and it worked fine on my MacOS 10.5.8 machine using a recent development version of Wireshark from SVN (1.3.3 rev 31191). What version of MacOS X are you running? Let me download 1.2.x and try it on my machine. I'll let you know.

Steve