Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capture / decode 'CAN' messages ?

From: "Speck Michael EHWG AVL/GAE" <Michael.Speck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 08:29:32 +0100
Hi Noel,

capturing and decoding CAN messages using Wireshark would be a great
help. I thought about this when I first heard about the new CAN socket
implementations, unfortunately, I didn't find the time to dig deeper
into this by myself. What's about you?

Some things that should be considered:

SocketCAN is only available for Linux. What could be done on Windows
platform?

Dissecting CAN messages could be a bit tricky because there are several
higher level protocols (for example: CANopen, NMT, LSS, etc...) How to
distinguish them? Could this be done automatically (by a smart
dissector) or should users configure (maybe by preference options) which
protocol to use?

cheers
Michael

PS: If there are questions about CANopen protocol, feel free to ask. I
have dealt with it for quite a while.