Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Plugin development question from newbie

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:37:35 -0800
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Don Washburn wrote:
>> I've been able to track down what "tvb" means (Testy Virtual Buffer) and
>> what "hf" stands for (header field), but I can't seem to find any
>> definition of "ett".
>>
>> Anyone know?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Don
>
> Hi,
>
> How about expansion tree type ?

I _think_ it originally stood for "Ethereal tree type". The first
implementation used a set of #defines in packet.h, like so from revision 2:

/* Tree types.  Each dissect_* routine should have one for each
   add_subtree() call. */

#define ETT_IEEE8023      0
#define ETT_ETHER2        1
#define ETT_LLC           2
#define ETT_TOKEN_RING    3
  [ ... ]

I think "expansion tree type" is a much better definition.