Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] stats_tree --> are there plans to support floating point counts?

From: "Sampanthan, Sangaran" <Sangaran.Sampanthan@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 10:50:34 -0800

Hello,

I need to calculate some statistics on our proprietary protocol.  We have created the custom plugin, tapped it, and now we need to create the stats tree.  However I noticed that the method

stats_tree_manip_node(manip_node_mode mode, stats_tree *st, const char *name, int parent_id, gboolean with_hash, gint value)

only passes integer values, and that the “counter” field of the “stat_node” struct is an integer as well.   It would seem like an easy change to make it floating point, and the displayed “rate” and “percent” calculations would still make sense if the “count” was floating point.

Is there any reason that stat_node->counter is an integer?  Are there any developers that would be open to making this a floating point type?  Is there a formal way I can make this request?

Thanks so much!

Shankar