Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Diet Libwireshark

From: "Clint Thomas" <cthomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:13:45 -0500
Title: Diet Libwireshark

Hey all,

After a series of trials and errors, I was finally able to successfully cross-compile a working T-Shark for my 85xx platform. However, what I have come to find is that Libwireshark.so weighs in around 32MB (after stripping symbols), which is far too big for the size of my flash RFS image.

Reading around a bit, it seems like I should be able to reduce the size of Libwireshark by removing dissector code that goes unused in my application. To do this, I tried removing the source entries from ./epan/dissectors/Makefile.in, and rebuilding the application, however this did not result in a reduced size for Libwireshark.

I was hoping somebody on this list could clarify where I might be going wrong in this approach, or if there is a better way to reduce the size of Libwireshark dramatically (I would like it to only be a few MB if at all possible)

Thanks,

Clinton Thomas