Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Help with dissecting data spanning multiple packets without

From: wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:38:13 +0200
Look at http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/wireshark/trunk/doc/README.developer
2.7.2 Modifying the pinfo struct.

Olivier

Jarolin, Robert a �crit :

I am working on a dissector for dissecting character string oriented TCP messages. The messages are of variable length with no header specifying the length. The message is considered finished when a '\n' character is found. These messages may span multiple packets as well as have multiple messages in 1 packet.

I have only written dissectors that have header info that can be used to return a length value for tcp_dissect_pdus to handle the fragmentation. Since I cannot determine the length until I find a '\n' character, how can I dissect these message types?

Is there a way to parse a packet, get to the end of the packet, then realize you need to continue the current dissection with the next packet? If so, how?

Thanks for any help!

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail (including any attachments) is intended only for the recipients named above. It may contain confidential or privileged information and should not be read, copied or otherwise used by any other person. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender of that fact and delete the e-mail from your system.