Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] g_mem-chunk_destroy does not free memory for GLib > 2.8

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:02:02 -0400
Jeff Morriss wrote:
Bill Meier wrote:
   I've found at least one case wherein se_alloc'd memory
   is referenced after it's been freed. (I think this case just happens
   to work because the memory wasn't yet reassigned).

I was contemplating adding an optional memory-scrubber to ensure that we're not doing that: just writing 0xdeadbeef to the ep_ and se_ alloc'd memory when we free it.

I was thinking the same thing ....

My first try (just clearing memory) a day or so ago seemed to cause Wireshark to run rather slowly.

I put it aside and didn't delve into why...

Bug in my code ???

Clearing 10 Megs for each frame ??

> Maybe I should wait 'til this is fixed.

I think it would be a useful thing to do (at least under a "debug..."
env variable).

I don't think my fixes at this point will involve
emem.c so feel free .  :)

Bill