Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] g_mem-chunk_destroy does not free memory for GLib > 2.8

From: Kovarththanan Rajaratnam <kovarththanan.rajaratnam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 11:52:18 +0200
Hey Bill,

Bill Meier wrote:
If there is no simple way to free up what may be an array of many multiple slices, I'm inclined to replace the use of GMemChunk (at least for those cases) by the use of GArray.

After a quick look, one concern I have is about constantly extending a GArray thus causing a copy each time. I note that it does seem that space for multiple entries can be pre-allocated. So: a wrapper for GArray could be coded which more or less does what I GMemChunk used to do. Or: does GArray have some builtin optimization ?

Comments ?
(or: what am I missing as to the best way to replace the use of GMemChunk ?).

Is there any reason why we couldn't use se_alloc and friends? This should be faster now that we're defaulting to _not_ use canaries for seasonal memory.

--
Best regards,
Kovarththanan Rajaratnam