Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New packet list - out of memory?

From: "Anders Broman" <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 12:05:26 +0200

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Bill Meier
Sent: den 6 oktober 2009 00:49
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New packet list - out of memory?

Bill Meier wrote:
>> A data point: A few days ago while working on bug #2375 I noticed
that
>> on Windows that if I defined the env logicals to not use se_alloc &
>> etc that *much* less memory was required to load a capture. (20% of
>> that used with se_alloc & etc ? I don't quite remember).
>>

>Details:
>
>Env: Windows Vista
>
>Actions:
>
>1. Load Wireshark
>    Determine "Private Working Set", "Working Set", "Commit Size"
>
>2. Load a 40 Meg capture file.
>    Determine ....  again
>
>The above was done for:
>
>a. Wireshark with new_packet_list:
>
>b. Wireshark w/new_packet_list:
>     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
>     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
>
>c. Wireshark without new packet list
>
>d. Wireshark without new packet list
>     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
>     set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
>
>Measurements
>
>Note: The Working Set was always about 20 Meg larger than the
>    Private Working Set(PWS) so only the PWS is shown.
>
>(All values in Megs)
>                                        EP/SE Chunks        No Chunks
>                                        PWS  Commit        PWS  Commit

something...)

>Bill

Hi,
I expanded on Bills measurements using the file that caused out of
memory for the new packet list. (Thanks Bill I didn't know about the
commit size option in the task manager).

146 MB 661417 pkts (TCP reassembly)

Version 1.2.2 (SVN Rev 29910)
PWS	  Commit
 42 016	     61 876
704 656	  1 639 256

Old packet list SVN 30353
PWS	  Commit
 43 060	     63 384
492 456	  1 427 480

Old packet list SVN 30353
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
PWS	  Commit
 43 060	     63 384
559 744	    579 968

Old packet list SVN 30353
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
 43 208	     53 312
559 612	    569 632

Old packet list SVN 30353
#define EMEM_ALLOCS_PER_CHUNK (EMEM_PACKET_CHUNK_SIZE / 64)
PWS	  Commit
 43 288	     64 188
492 104	    567 060

(This file can't be loaded using 512)
New packet list SVN 30353
#define EMEM_ALLOCS_PER_CHUNK (EMEM_PACKET_CHUNK_SIZE / 64)
PWS	  Commit
 43 492	     64 512
332 400	    471 264

New packet list SVN 30353
#define EMEM_ALLOCS_PER_CHUNK (EMEM_PACKET_CHUNK_SIZE / 64)
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
PWS	  Commit
 43 660	     64 736
468 496	    493 660

New packet list SVN 30353
#define EMEM_ALLOCS_PER_CHUNK (EMEM_PACKET_CHUNK_SIZE / 64)
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_EP_NO_CHUNKS=T
set WIRESHARK_DEBUG_SE_NO_CHUNKS=T
PWS	  Commit
 43 660	     64 736
468 428	    481 516

  Compared with 1.2.2 memory usage has improved quite a bit. Loading
time
  has improved with the old packet list but not so much with the new
packet list!?

Conclusions:
- se alloced memory is a problem as the allocation "waists" memory.
  This is not a big problem for ep memory as it's given back to the pool
after each packet.
- Using the old packet list the file loads faster !?
  This was not the case some way along the line...
- Surprisingly enough the file loads faster not using chunks for
se_alloc ???
  Whereas it is faster using ep memory.

Increasing EMEM_ALLOCS_PER_CHUNK looks like a good thing - drawbacks?
Should the use of se_alloc be discouraged/removed?

Regards
Anders