Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Two dissectors on same TCP port?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:59:46 -0700

On Sep 30, 2009, at 1:21 PM, Alex Lindberg wrote:

In my specific case, the custom protocol runs on the same TCP port as the h248 MEGACO protocol and relays custom information between a media gateway its controller.

The custom protocol uses what I would call a "magic cookie" as the first 4 bytes following the tpkt part of the h248 message.

In other words, the answer to my question

Is it something in the contents of the packet, or is it a preference setting, or is it something else?

is "it's something in the contents of the packet", so you should try my suggestion:

One way to do this would be to make your dissector a heuristic dissector, have it check for the port number and the unique condition (if there's a match, dissect and return TRUE, otherwise return FALSE), and set the TCP preference to run the heuristic dissectors first.

which would require no changes to Wireshark itself - you'd just have to set that TCP preference.