Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is it time to make Wireshark a native Mac OS X application?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 12:48:40 -0700

On Sep 20, 2009, at 12:09 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

I'd like to see a Qt (or some other toolkit) frontend for wireshark, as there are tools to build the (looks of the) gui instead of having to program every
detail of it.

	http://glade.gnome.org/

or am I missing something here?

An in my opinion, the different GUIs don't have to do all the same things: It's called competition and hopefully will make all existing guis better.

I don't think it'd be a good thing if somebody implemented, say, a bounce diagram tap for {GUI toolkit X} and somebody else would have to completely rewrite it for {GUI toolkit Y}; perhaps competition between two bounce diagram taps would be good, but that's possible even if we base Wireshark only on one toolkit.

While we are on the topic of guis: We currently have two:
tshark and gtk2.

We have two UIs, one of which is a GUI and one of which is a command- line UI. TShark isn't a GUI app, and isn't supposed to be. It reads the capture file only once; if we get to the point where we can read capture files from pipes, that could be a useful capability.