Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is it time to make Wireshark a native Mac OS X application?

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:09:07 +0200
On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 12:16:17AM -0700, Guy Harris wrote:
> and Qt - although Qt
>
> 	1) isn't, as far as I know, built atop the native widgets on Windows
> or OS X
>
> and
>
> 	2) is, as far as I know, built atop Carbon on OS X (hence no 64-bit
> support)

I'd like to see a Qt (or some other toolkit) frontend for wireshark, as there
are tools to build the (looks of the) gui instead of having to program every
detail of it.

An in my opinion, the different GUIs don't have to do all the same things:
It's called competition and hopefully will make all existing guis better.

While we are on the topic of guis: We currently have two:
tshark and gtk2.

One thing I'd like to see is just a single executable that loads the
approproate gui plugin instead of the other way round (gui loading libwireshark
as a library). An example application that does something like that was
centericq and probably its successor centerim (http://www.centerim.org).

Ciao
     Joerg