Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] How to view stdout after launching wireshark GUI?

Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:21:52 -0400
That's exactly what I was looking for!  I don't even have to recompile Wireshark.  ;)
Thank you very much.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Jim Young <SYSJHY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello Beth,

>>> Beth <beth.tridium@xxxxxxxxx> 09/18/09 10:58 AM >>>
> As I try to debug my Lua issues, it would be really helpful if I could view
> stdout while running the wireshark GUI.  Then I can print debug info with a
> simple printf instead of having to add gratuitous items to the display tree.
>
> I thought all I would need to do is run wireshark from the command line, but
> as soon as the GUI window opens the command line prompt returns
> immediately.  Is there a way to keep it from doing that, so that stdout
> comes out in the command window?

You haven't said what platform you are developing on, but perhaps
changing the Wireshark User Interface Preference of "Open a console
window" from the default on "Never" to "Automatic (advanced user)"
or even "Always (debugging)" would provide the console window you
desire.

It works for me when working in C.

I typically run my Wireshark instanaces with Console mode set to "Always".
If and when the console window is created, you will be required to also
click on and close the console the console window to  completely shutdown
Wireshark.

I hope this proves helpful.

Jim Y.