Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] FW: [Wireshark-commits] rev 29759: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/: fra

From: Kovarththanan Rajaratnam <kovarththanan.rajaratnam@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:47:23 +0200
Hey Anders,

Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
We only need the max strlen don't we?
E.g no need to store the length per frame?

Initially I thought about doing it as you suggests but this has some drawbacks:

1) We can't handle asynchronous name resolution. There might be cases where the column string actually shrinks due to name resolution. 2) It won't work if the user is using a display filter. If the user is 'display filtering' we never interact with the packet list store (we simply toggle the 'dfilter_passed' bit in 'frame_data') so we can't update the 'largest value' in the packet list store.

Based on this I opted for the current solution.