Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Port Expert info changes to 1.2.2? -Significant performance

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 22:57:21 +0200
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 04:28:02PM +0200, Balint Reczey wrote:
> I think we should stay with the current policy of adding only bugfixes
> to the stable branch.

There have been minor non-bugfixes before - no need to be too strict.
IIRC, there have been changes to e.g. the list of supported capture file
formats in the past.

> The next development snapshot is scheduled to be released in Q4, 2009
> [1] and this enhancement could be distributed in the snapshot.

Btw, why is the first development snapshot that late? We were never that late,
and personally, I don't like that: Exposing such a huge amount of internal
changes to a larger audience at once will make it harder to track when bugs/
regressions occurred first.

> In Debian, there is an ongoing discussion about allowing whole Wireshark
> stable branch updates to enter Debian stable, but if we push new
> functionality into the stable Wireshark branches, this does not seem to
> be a good idea.

That's for Debian to decide, but I don't see any reason that we should
base *our* policy on Debian's policy. If we go about the changes carefully,
maybe add some sort of Acked-By policy, which means that someone else who
feels competent to evaluate that patch and the patch is not too complex,
then why should't it go into the stable branch?

Ciao
     Joerg