Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark on OSX Snow Leopard

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:27:39 -0700

On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Michael Tüxen wrote:

I agree. I'm (slowly) trying to build Wireshark (and what it
depends on) on a 64-bit SL system. Up to now I discovered a
problem with dumpcap. Guy has a work around, which is not
yet committed.

I have an idea of how to do a workaround - I haven't yet checked whether I can test at compile time whether there will be a problem or at run time whether there is a problem, so I don't actually have a workaround yet.

I also filed a bug on this, because the problem affects *any* code that uses the BIOCSRTIMEOUT or BIOCGRTIMEOUT ioctls, whether directly or through a library such as libpcap, and sets or gets a timeout that's not an integral number of seconds - it won't work correctly in 64-bit mode. Hopefully a fix will get into a software update.

(It works OK in 32-bit mode, so our binary packages work; BIOCSRTIMEOUT also happens, by luck, to behave properly with integral timeouts on little-endian machines, which is why this wasn't discovered as soon as somebody tried to use tcpdump.)