Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark on OSX Snow Leopard
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:27:39 -0700
On Aug 31, 2009, at 7:08 AM, Michael Tüxen wrote:

I agree. I'm (slowly) trying to build Wireshark (and what it
depends on) on a 64-bit SL system. Up to now I discovered a
problem with dumpcap. Guy has a work around, which is not
yet committed.
I have an idea of how to do a workaround - I haven't yet checked
whether I can test at compile time whether there will be a problem or
at run time whether there is a problem, so I don't actually have a
workaround yet.
I also filed a bug on this, because the problem affects *any* code
that uses the BIOCSRTIMEOUT or BIOCGRTIMEOUT ioctls, whether directly
or through a library such as libpcap, and sets or gets a timeout
that's not an integral number of seconds - it won't work correctly in
64-bit mode.  Hopefully a fix will get into a software update.
(It works OK in 32-bit mode, so our binary packages work;
BIOCSRTIMEOUT also happens, by luck, to behave properly with integral
timeouts on little-endian machines, which is why this wasn't
discovered as soon as somebody tried to use tcpdump.)