Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Autogen.sh error on ubuntu

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:14:15 -0700

On Aug 28, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Swapnil Barai (sbarai) wrote:

Ok, I can reinstall the packages using apt-get if it makes difference.

I'd do a "make uninstall" of all the autotools you installed from source, and then install them with apt-get, and see whether that works.

+ pkg-config --variable=prefix glib-2.0
+ glib_prefix=/usr

OK, so that means that GLib is installed under /usr, not /usr/local...

+ [ -z /usr ]
+ glib_aclocal_dir=/usr/share/aclocal

...and Wireshark assumes that means that the autoconf macros for GLib are installed in /usr/share/aclocal.

If there is no /usr/share/aclocal, this probably means that either

1) that assumption isn't correct (which would be annoying as hell, unless there's a way to ask pkg-config where the autoconf macros are installed)

or

2) the autoconf macros for GLib aren't installed *at all*, which would mean that you can't build the development source.

What GLib packages have you installed? If Ubuntu has a "development" package for GLib, you will have to install that in order to build programs that use GLib, such as Wireshark.

That also applies to GTK+ - unless you're only going to build TShark, not Wireshark, you will need a development package for GTK+ (I suspect most Linux distributions have separate "end-user" and "developer" packages for libraries, so that somebody who only wants to be able to run pre-built applications using a particular library doesn't have to waste disk space with header files, autoconf macros, static libraries, etc.).