Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Autogen.sh error on ubuntu
From: Guy Harris <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:14:15 -0700
On Aug 28, 2009, at 1:04 PM, Swapnil Barai (sbarai) wrote:

Ok, I can reinstall the packages using apt-get if it makes difference.
I'd do a "make uninstall" of all the autotools you installed from
source, and then install them with apt-get, and see whether that works.
+ pkg-config --variable=prefix glib-2.0
+ glib_prefix=/usr
OK, so that means that GLib is installed under /usr, not /usr/local...

+ [ -z /usr ]
+ glib_aclocal_dir=/usr/share/aclocal
...and Wireshark assumes that means that the autoconf macros for GLib
are installed in /usr/share/aclocal.
If there is no /usr/share/aclocal, this probably means that either

1) that assumption isn't correct (which would be annoying as hell, unless there's a way to ask pkg-config where the autoconf macros are installed)
or

2) the autoconf macros for GLib aren't installed *at all*, which would mean that you can't build the development source.
What GLib packages have you installed?  If Ubuntu has a "development"
package for GLib, you will have to install that in order to build
programs that use GLib, such as Wireshark.
That also applies to GTK+ - unless you're only going to build TShark,
not Wireshark, you will need a development package for GTK+ (I suspect
most Linux distributions have separate "end-user" and "developer"
packages for libraries, so that somebody who only wants to be able to
run pre-built applications using a particular library doesn't have to
waste disk space with header files, autoconf macros, static libraries,
etc.).