Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Port Expert info changes to 1.2.2? -Significant performance

From: Balint Reczey <balint.reczey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 16:28:02 +0200
Hi,

I think we should stay with the current policy of adding only bugfixes to the stable branch.

The next development snapshot is scheduled to be released in Q4, 2009 [1] and this enhancement could be distributed in the snapshot.

In Debian, there is an ongoing discussion about allowing whole Wireshark stable branch updates to enter Debian stable, but if we push new functionality into the stable Wireshark branches, this does not seem to be a good idea.

Cheers,
Balint

[1] http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/Roadmap

Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
As this enhancement is limited to one function and and not that much code (I think ) it's still something to consider as the benefits are great and it can be delivered within a short timeframe. I think we should be strict about new functionality but not rigid. If we want the new packet list in 1.4 there's a lot of work left so a new release might be many month away. Regards
Anders