Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] behavior of tcp_dissect_pdus when protocol pdu is across tcp

From: wsgd <wsgd@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 23:40:23 +0200

Simple answer : tcp_dissect_pdus works, I tested it.
Does not work, for example :
- not into tcp
- there is no (data into the) header which gives you the length of the pdu/chunk.

After a test with wireshark 1.2.1, the offset given to get_pdu_len is allways zero.
data inside tvb != data inside packet
data inside tvb (given to get_pdu_len) is only a part of the packet.
zero inside this tvb != zero inside packet

get_pdu_len must return the entire size of the pdu/chunk (not only the size after the header).

pinfo->desegment_offset and pinfo->desegment_len are more complicated to use
They could be used when you cannot use tcp_dissect_pdus

Finally, what is your problem visually ?

Olivier

Sudarshan Raghavan a �crit :
I think the basic question is can tcp_dissect_pdus work at an offset
inside the TCP segment? This is since an RTMP chunk can start within a
TCP segment and end within the same or a later segment. I looked at
the implementation in packet-bgp.c and there is a comment of similar
nature. The implementation there also uses pinfo->desegment_offset and
pinfo->desegment_len for achieving similar behavior. Is this the way
to proceed?

Thanks,
Sudarshan

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 12:23 AM, Sudarshan