Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Unable to Compile Wireshark from SVN on Fedora 11

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 16:24:12 -0400
Tyson Key wrote:
Hi,
I'm unsure if this is the best venue to report the issue, but is
anyone else having problems building a current SVN snapshot of
Wireshark on Fedora 11?

Currently, I'm able to complete most of the "make" process, before
attempting to build the ICMPv6 dissector fails with the following:
cc1: warnings being treated as errors
packet-icmpv6.c: In function ‘dissect_icmpv6’:
packet-icmpv6.c:1580: error: dereferencing pointer ‘ni’ does break
strict-aliasing rules
packet-icmpv6.c:1562: error: dereferencing pointer ‘ni’ does break
strict-aliasing rules
packet-icmpv6.c:1561: error: dereferencing pointer ‘ni’ does break
strict-aliasing rules
packet-icmpv6.c:1560: note: initialized from here

Yep: I get the same error when I compile with GCC v4.4.1 (on my
Fedora 11 system) if I use the -O2 option.  (I normally use -O0).

From the GCC documentation:

`-fstrict-aliasing'

<snip>

     The `-fstrict-aliasing' option is enabled at levels `-O2', `-O3',
     `-Os'.

I'll see what I can do to change the icmpv6 code ....

(Do you have any suggestions ?)

(PS: You can, of course, temporarily use -fno-strict-aliasing).