Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Qi and things

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 03:58:48 -0700
On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Wolfgang
Spraul<wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Richard,
>
>> The Qi Ben would seem to have some promise as a language learning tool
>> that I have been thinking of for some time and given the number of
>> people trying to learn Mandarin, could prove interesting.
>
> Absolutely. Totally agree. Only problem is great software ;-)

Sure. This has occupied my thoughts for some time, and like Ethereal
back in about 1999, it seems the right time to do something.

>> The specs say that it has a headphone jack and a microphone, but would
>> it be possible to use one of those integrated headphone and microphone
>> devices on a single jack?
>
> Sorry the Ben only has stereo-out. For the Ya we are thinking about changing
> to a 3.5mm TRRS connector, i.e. one that also has mic-in. Like the iPhone.
> Needs to be discussed more on the list. Some people want 2.5mm but I
> think those are so badly de-standardized that most people just hate them.
>
>> One of the tools for tone analysis that is available would require
>> reasonable audio input ...
>
> Only microphone in the Ben.

OK, in any event, having thought about it more, that is a feature that
can wait until the basic functionality is done.

Does the Ben have a mini-USB connector? Could we use a USB hub to
connect a keyboard and mouse?

Also, could we use one of those USB headphones with microphone for
audio in and out for development?

>> Of course, it might prove hard to get the performance I want from Java
>> as well, as I am thinking of a Java-based app.
>
> Should be OK, but of course needs testing.
>
>> BTW, when can I get one
>
> Buy hopefully in October. Before that I believe we have an early-access
> program for people that can commit to some SW development.

I have a tutorial on SCST to give at LinuxCon in September, so I guess
it can wait until October.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe