Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Browse field in the preferences

From: Aurélien Decagny <funtim78@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:46:03 +0200
Thank you!

So finally I will begin with "just a string field" in the preferences.
The function to do that should be prefs_register_string_preference(), but I don't manage to make it work!
(And I have already use almost all the others prefs_register, so that's very strange.

Looking in some other dissectors using this function too, I made this:

At the beginning, I initialize my variable:

static const char *sle_nameFile = "SLE_packets_decoded.txt"; /* Name of the text file */

/*This thing seems me already a little bit strange, I would better have use something like:
* static char sle_nameFile[50] = "SLE_packets_decoded.txt";
* but it doesn't seem to work, and the other method is used in the other dissectors...
* if someone can explain to me why...*/

And then in proto_register_sle():

        /* Name of the file */
        prefs_register_string_preference(sle_module, "saveName_sle",
            "Enter the name of the text file (with the extension)",
            "Enter the name of the text file to save the data",
            &sle_nameFile);

The thing compile well, but when launching, I have the following problem:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program : c:\wireshark\wireshark-gtk2\wireshark.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information

So, what did I do wrong ?

Regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement,

Aurelien Decagny

Second year student in Supelec engineering school (Metz, France)
ESA/ESOC trainee, OPS-GSI section (Darmstadt, Germany)