Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Fastest and the Legal way to distribute Custom Dissectors

From: "Makharia, Shivesh" <Shivesh.Makharia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:00:19 -0400
Hi,

I am trying to understand my options here:
I have written a few custom dissectors for protocols which are currently not supported in Wireshark. I understand my options are:

Modify existing Wireshark sources for the new dissectors
Write a plugin for my dissectors

I wanted to know how and what is the best way my dissectors can be made available to customers of our company. I am fine with giving the sources of the dissectors to my customers.

I want to allow customers of our company to be able to decode VSNCP, VSNP protocols specific to CDMA community. I want to release my custom dissectors ASAP. Which is the "correct" and the fastest way to get this done.

I think these are the 3 choices I have:
1) I plan to modify Wireshark sources, make a custom Wireshark installation for our customers and ask them to use the "new" Wireshark. I have no problems giving them the sources of my changes made

2) Make a dll for a particular release of Wireshark and ask our customers to install the .dll. Again I can release the sources with the dll to my customers

3) Contribute the sources to the official Wireshark community. I however assume that this may be a longer and time consuming process where I have will have to conform to the semantics of submitting a patch, getting my patches reviewed and approved and then hopefully included in some later versions of Wireshark.

Can someone point me out which is the the quickest and ofcourse the legal way to do this?
Thanks a lot!

Regards

E-mail confidentiality.
--------------------------------
This e-mail contains confidential and / or privileged information belonging to Spirent Communications plc, its affiliates and / or subsidiaries. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution and / or the taking of any action based upon reliance on the contents of this transmission is strictly forbidden. If you have received this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete it from your system. If you require assistance, please contact our IT department at helpdesk@xxxxxxxxxxx.

Spirent Communications plc,
Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley,
West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.
Tel No. +44 (0) 1293 767676
Fax No. +44 (0) 1293 767677

Registered in England Number 470893
Registered at Northwood Park, Gatwick Road, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9XN, United Kingdom.

Or if within the US,

Spirent Communications,
26750 Agoura Road, Calabasas, CA, 91302, USA.
Tel No. 1-818-676- 2300